- Where is this?
- Who (or what) destroyed everything? Why?
- What happened to the people who lived here?
- What are the people doing?
- What are the machines? Who is controlling them? What about the aircrafts?
- What does ‘insurgent’ mean? Why is that the title of this picture?
- In the picture, who is good and who is bad?
- In conflict, is there always a clear ‘good’ and ‘bad’? Can people be both?
- How should conflict be resolved? How could it be prevented?
- Choose a writing task:
- Write a first person account of this scene. From whose perspective will you write?
- Write a news broadcast – be a reporter on the scene. What will you say and how will you portray the atmosphere through your words, tone of voice and expression?
- Write a war poem. You could use this image alone, or you could also research other times of conflict.
Credit: Alejandro Burdisio/Burda