- What can you see? What do you think? What do you wonder? Discuss and/or record your ideas here: See, Think, Wonder.
- What is the man doing?
- What is the red ‘thing’?
- What would you name it? Why?
- Why does it have machinery parts as well as tentacles?
- Is it alive?
- What is he feeding it? What’s in the box? Why did he choose those objects?
- Does anyone else know about this ‘thing’?
- Write some instructions – ‘How to care for your thing’ – that might help this man, or anyone else who discovers their own ‘thing’. Consider what it eats, what else it needs, where it sleeps/lives, how to communicate with it, what not to do…
- Link to a book study of ‘The Lost Thing‘. You can find the short film version here: http://www.thelostthing.com.
Credit: Shaun Tan
From ‘The Lost Thing’
Hodder Children’s Books