Without showing the title:
- What do you think is happening here?
- Who is the man? What is he doing?
- Give this picture a title (hint: begin with ‘how’ or ‘why’).
Show the title:
- Using this picture, explain how stars are made.
- What are stars made from?
- Is this man the only person making stars?
- Are there any specific tools or equipment needed to make stars?
- How do the stars get into the sky when they’re ready?
- How long do they last?
- Are there any warnings or tips for people who may want to try it?
- Writing: Explanation text – How stars are made
- Picture book link: The Wonder by Faye Hanson – see ‘the galaxy-makers’ page.
Credit: Goro Fujita