Show the image without sharing the title first.
- Where is this? What else is in this setting that you can’t see?
- Which genre does this setting suit? Why?
- What are the boys doing?
- Why are their expressions so different?
- What can they see/hear/feel?
- Whose house is it?
- Why do you think Tyler Carter painted the moon so big? Why did he paint from this perspective?
Share the title.
- Did you think that the boys were ghost hunting? Why do you think they are? What equipment might they have in their boat?
- What do you think they are looking at?
- What do you think is going to happen?
- Write a paragraph or two about this scene. You can use the following techniques, but be careful not to over-use any one of them:
- Short sentences to build the tension
- Simile or metaphor
- Description appealing to senses
- Include something unknown/hidden
- Powerful verbs
Credit: Tyler Carter