- What is happening here?
- Why is the house taking off?
- Is this house special?
- Is there anyone inside the house?
- What about the other houses? What do the neighbours think? How are they reacting?
- What will happen to the house?
- Use this sheet to make predictions.
- Role play the scene, taking different characters (e.g. someone in the house, a neighbour, someone driving up the street, a local police officer, a local reporter…). Consider the before, during and after.
- Write a news report (or film a ‘Breaking News’ broadcast) entitled ‘Lift Off’. What are the facts? Would you include any opinions? Whose?
- Link to ‘The Mysteries of Harris Burdick’ by Chris Van Allsburg- The House on Maple Street (‘It was a perfect lift-off.’). What’s similar and what’s different? Why is this idea a good stimulus for writing?
Credit: Tim O’Brien