- Explain what is happening in this picture. Now try to think of an alternative explanation – what else could be happening? Is everything as it seems?
- Is the tree being picked up or lowered? How do you know?
- Why this tree? Is it special? Is it the only one?
- Who – or what – is inside the spaceship? Where did it come from?
- Are there any witnesses? What would you think/wonder/say/do if you saw this?
- Writing task: Choose to…
- Write from the perspective of the tree;
- Write from the perspective of a being on the spaceship;
- Write from the perspective of a witness;
- Write a narrative including this event as a flashback;
- Write a newspaper report about this incident;
- Write a shape poem;
- Write ‘An Extraterrestrial Guide to Collecting and Sampling Life Forms’.
- Create several images showing the sequence of events (including before and after this picture) using black paper and white chalk. You could use these as a storyboard for your writing.
Credit: Jungho Lee