- What can the dog and the cat see out of the window? Describe the view [link to grammar objectives].
- Are they looking at the same thing? Explain your thinking.
- Why is the dog standing up and leaning on the window sill? How does it feel about what’s outside?
- Why is the cat’s head slightly tilted?
- Are their owners home? Do they have the same owner?
- What do pets do when they’re home alone?
- Link to ‘The Secret Life of Pets’ – watch the trailer here. Each animal has a different personality – how do the animators show us this? [e.g. They don’t tell us that the cat is greedy – we see this through a sequence of events.] Model developing a character using ‘show not tell’.
- Write from the perspective of the dog or the cat. What are they thinking? How will you develop their character/personality when writing in first person?
Credit: Little Oil