- What is the pig doing? Why?
- What can the pig see that we can’t? (Hint: Look at the shadows!)
- Is the pig alone? Will any other pigs (or other species) help it?
- What happened to the sheep?
- What do you think the farmer wants to do with the pig?
- How does the pig feel? How do you know?
- Predict what will happen next (in the next 5 minutes; in an hour; tomorrow…).
- Why do some people choose to eat meat, and some people choose not to?
- Should people be allowed to make that choice?
- How might the world be different if people were all meat eaters, or all vegetarians?
- Why is this picture called ‘This is Sparta’? What do you know about Sparta? What are the links between Sparta/Spartans and this picture?
- Read more about Sparta (the Ancient Greek city-state) here: Sparta.
- What do you think of the pig’s choice of weapons?
- Can you design an improved shield or weapon?
- Can you design something to aid the pig? e.g. suit of armour, a new weapon, a device to signal approaching farmers…
Credit: Gediminas Pranckevičius